Our Ryelands can be seen munching away happily on the grass at our farm when you visit. If you walk over to the field in which they are in you may find they will happily come over and greet you with their welcoming chorus of 'baa's.
We will have Pedigree Ryeland sheep for sale in Spring 2013 and welcome visitors who may be considering keeping Ryelands for breeding, meat production, as "lawn mowers" or pets please get in touch and will be very pleased to help you establish your flock.
The Ryeland breed is now the favourite smallholders' sheep with very good reason.
The following are some of the reasons we choose the Ryeland breed and why they might be for you:
- Very docile in nature and extremely easy to handle. No sheepdog needed, just a bucket of feed! In fact our sheep come running over the second they see us approaching.
- They look like cuddly teddy bears as they are heavily wooled, including the head, give them a very appealing appearance.
- Easy to contain with no real appetite to escape.
- Will happily graze lower grade pasture for much of the year with minimal use of concentrates making them ideal for Organic farming
- Ryelands are efficient "lawn mowers" and make great pet sheep.
- Most Ryeland Ewes manage lambing without assistance and make great mothers as they take good care of their lambs and are normally very attentive. They are also good milk producers.
- The breed seems almost immune to foot-rot.
- Great tasting meat that tastes like lamb used to. Many Ryeland breeders supply gastro-pubs and restaurants keen to take their meat.
- A very high quality fleece that is now very popular with home spinners and craft workers.
- Ryeland rams are increasingly being used as terminal sires for crossing with more commercial breeds, particularly for the production of high quality, great tasting meat.
- A great breed with which to venture into showing sheep as they often win shows.